You are standing near the former headquarters of the Gas Light and Coke Company on Horseferry Road. This site marks the origin of the world's first public utility, a pioneering operation that fundamentally changed how cities functioned after receiving its Royal Charter in 1812. The company did not just provide a new service, it transformed the rhythm of urban life by replacing the dim, inconsistent glow of candles and oil lamps with the steady brightness of coal gas. The company began its work in the immediate vicinity, establishing its first permanent gas works on nearby Great Peter Street in 1813. This facility was a marvel of the industrial age, where coal was heated in iron retorts to extract gas that was then piped through bored wooden logs to illuminate Westminster Bridge. While the technology was revolutionary, it was met with significant skepticism, forcing the company's chief engineer, Samuel Clegg, to personally light the lamps on the bridge himself when local lamp lighters refused to handle the new, mysterious fuel. The company quickly expanded from this Westminster hub, eventually laying hundreds of miles of pipes and supplying tens of thousands of burners across London. It became the dominant force in the industry by systematically absorbing smaller competitors, eventually growing into the ancestor of British Gas. Today, while the gas works and the original scale of the operation are long gone, small vestiges remain on the streets of London, including rare surviving gas street lamps and the occasional historic service valve cover that still bears the mark of this once-mighty utility.
Gas Light and Coke Company
historic
© OpenStreetMap © CARTO
The audio tour continues in the Mira app →