Thomas C. Pearsall Farm

historic

Long before the elegant townhouses and private gardens defined this area, the ground beneath your feet was part of a sprawling farmstead known as the Thomas C. Pearsall Farm. This tract occupied the riverfront northeast of Turtle Bay, serving as a quiet country retreat for the wealthy Pearsall family in the early nineteenth century. The land’s history stretches back to the colonial era when it was split into small patents granted by English and Dutch governors. By the time the Pearsalls acquired the site in 1797, it was a productive expanse of acreage that stretched toward the old Post Road. It remained a rural sanctuary even as the rest of Manhattan began to transform into a bustling commercial port. Thomas C. Pearsall expanded the family’s holding in 1809 by purchasing a neighboring four-acre parcel along the East River. His farmhouse stood in the middle of what is now the street bed of Avenue A between 58th and 59th Streets. As the nineteenth century progressed, the farm was systematically carved up and sold off to satisfy the requirements of the expanding Manhattan street grid, eventually disappearing entirely beneath the city's urban footprint.

Nearby