Battery Davis

historic

Battery Davis was designed as the engineering prototype for every casemated sixteen-inch gun emplacement constructed on the West Coast. Completed in 1939, this massive concrete structure at Fort Funston utilized specialized equipment to protect San Francisco from offshore naval bombardment. The two guns housed here were originally intended for the battle cruiser U.S.S. Saratoga, but their original mission changed when the ship was converted into an aircraft carrier following the Washington Treaty of 1922. These steel tubes were sixty-eight feet long and could fire a two-thousand-one-hundred-pound shell more than twenty-five miles out into the Pacific Ocean.

The audio tour continues in the Mira app →

Nearby