You are standing near the former site of the Waterside Generating Station, which once defined this stretch of the East River waterfront between East 38th and 40th Streets. When it opened in 1901, the massive facility became the first power plant in New York City to generate alternating current. This technological leap allowed the city to move beyond local direct current systems and distribute electricity across a much wider area, fueling the rapid expansion of the metropolitan grid. The station was designed in the Beaux-Arts architectural style by C. Wellesley Smith, giving the industrial behemoth a level of grandeur rarely seen in power plants. Inside its walls, the facility housed powerful steam turbines and boilers that, by its peak, could produce over two million pounds of steam per hour. This dual-output design made it a critical cogeneration plant, providing both electricity for the city and steam to heat landmark structures like Grand Central Terminal. For over a century, the plant served as a constant, albeit soot-heavy, presence in the neighborhood. While it was initially surrounded by slaughterhouses and freight depots, the eventual rise of the United Nations headquarters and surrounding residential towers brought the industrial facility into sharp conflict with its changing neighbors. By the time it was decommissioned in 2005, it had earned a reputation as one of the state's most polluting plants and faced intense pressure over its environmental impact. Following its closure, the site was entirely demolished by 2008, leaving behind a vacant lot that remains a quiet, empty contrast to the density of the surrounding streets.
Waterside Generating Station
historic
© OpenStreetMap © CARTO