The St Pancras Female Orphanage was established in 1776 to provide housing, clothing, and training for local girls who had lost their parents. For much of its history, the institution operated out of a building at 108 Hampstead Road. Life for the residents was strictly regimented, as the primary goal of the charity was to prepare these young women for careers in domestic service. By the early twentieth century, the original premises were considered outdated. In 1904, Lord Southampton laid the foundation stone for an ambitious new building on the same site, designed by architects E. W. Hudson and S. G. Goss. Despite this significant investment, the orphanage frequently struggled with funding shortages, and the new facility rarely reached its full intended capacity. The building transitioned away from its original purpose in 1945 when the trustees sold the property to the nearby National Temperance Hospital. The hospital used the space as an annex for medical services. Following the closure of the hospital in 1990, the building housed the Margarete Centre, which provided support for those struggling with substance abuse. The structure has since been demolished as part of the large-scale redevelopment of the area for the high-speed railway project.
St Pancras Female Orphanage
landmark
© OpenStreetMap © CARTO
The audio tour continues in the Mira app →