St George's Town Hall on Cable Street began its life in 1860 as a vestry hall, constructed to serve the local government needs of the parish of St George in the East. Architect Andrew Wilson designed the building in a formal Italianate style, using brick with a stately Portland stone facade to project authority. The structure was purpose-built on land previously belonging to the nearby church, creating a civic center that would witness some of the most dramatic events in East London history.
St George's Town Hall
landmark
© OpenStreetMap © CARTO
The audio tour continues in the Mira app →