The Albertinum bears a facade of distinct, earthy sandstone, punctured by long rows of tall windows that define its heavy Renaissance Revival style. Originally a royal armory built in the late nineteenth century, the building transformed into a museum for the extensive royal collections of sculpture and painting. King Albert of Saxony ordered the construction, wanting a home for his family’s treasures. Sculptor Georg Treu famously filled the halls with casts of ancient Greek statues, creating a world-class collection inside these stone walls.
Albertinum (1884-87; Adolph Canzler)
museum
The audio tour continues in the Mira app →